Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Snow Day

The snow started around 7am.  It's 10:30am now.  If you'd asked me a few months ago, I would've never believed that this would be our 4th snow this winter.  Thank you El Nino!

I love a good snow day.  It reminds me of living in Chapel Hill, NC, in 2000, when it snowed over 2 feet and everything seemed to stop for weeks.  I was working at the Burn Center at UNC Memorial at that time and I lived in a little basement apartment about 5 miles from the hospital.  My first shift after the snow, I strapped on my boots and set out to walk around 5:30am.  It was so dark but the icicles reflected the few generator lights that were on after the power failure.  It was breathtaking and so quiet.  To get from my apartment to the hospital, there is this huge 1/2 mile hill to climb.  The ice was thick on top of the sidewalks, so I'm glad that it was dark, so there was no chance of anyone seeing me struggle--not that anyone was around at the time.  The hospital didn't close during this extraordinary storm, so I was expected at work...except for hospitals, police, firefighters, and other 'essential' employees, everything else was closed.

It's so exciting for us to watch Connor see and enjoy snow for the first time.  The day we brought him home from the hospital, the day before Easter that year, it was snowing about like today.  I've been so hoping that living in TX wouldn't prevent us from enjoying this winter beauty.  I get so annoyed when folks complain about the cold and wish for summer to get here sooner.  Come on, people!  Summer here lasts from about May until November...brutally hot from sun rise until 10pm at night, if you ask me.  I love these cold winter days.  Such a gift!

Enough of this.
Connor and I are going outside to play while Aidan is asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment