Friday, February 26, 2010

Sleep-aholic


Turning 3 on March 31st, Connor is growing up so fast.  I'll never forget that day that we found out that he was growing inside me--it took 3 pregnancy tests to convince me.  Richard was overjoyed.  I was amazed--yeah, we weren't trying. 

God's timing is so much better than our own. 

We were so green when he first came.  The nurse left him in his little bassinet with all the diapers and wipes and blankets beside my bed.  Richard and I just looked at each other...what are we supposed to do now?...where is she going?...she's leaving him alone with us!?  I thought that I was so prepared---the childbirthing class, the books...they do not prepare you for the realization that every need that little baby will have is dependent on you to provide him.  More than anything, we just didn't want to mess up on the easy stuff and look like fools--we figured we could handle the really major things, like 'don't let him starve' and 'don't let him play with plastic bags' and such.  But, please oh please let this diaper stay on and not fall off.  And, what are you supposed to do with all this breastfeeding stuff?  Richard changed Connor's diaper when I was too sore from the c/s that first night.  I laughed when I saw the urine spray up in the air--Richard was so cute.

I tried to do everything 'by the book' with Connor--which really aggravated mama, who wanted me to put him to sleep on his belly and give him something called "pablum" when he was only 5 weeks old (sounds like it might've been baby rice cereal) to help him sleep 'better'.   Well, we turned out okay--I could hear her thinking it.

We definitely tip-toed around Connor more than perhaps we should have done.  I was so focused and obsessive about him sleeping well--partly because, selfishly, I wanted some of my time back and partly because that's what I thought he should be doing.  So many days and nights I spent 30-45 minutes just pacing back and forth with him on my shoulder until he finally fell asleep and I could lay him down.  I never really just put him down and let him cry it out--at least not during those first three months or so. 

Over the course of his first year, naptime and bedtime became easier and easier, until all I had to do was put him into bed and he would simply turn over and fall asleep--a feat I, to some degree, credit myself (probably wrongly) for all those hours 'teaching' him to sleep at certain times of the day.  I remember what a wonderful gift it was for Richard and I to get our night back--when Connor would go down to bed for the night around 8pm and sleep until 6 or 7am.  Overjoyed that I had couch time and conversation time back, I really was hesitant to talk about baby number two when we'd have to give that time up again for a time.  So selfish!  But, to this day, Connor is a champion sleeper. 

I hear other moms talking about how their kids never really napped or they only took 30 minute naps, even when they were babies.  I marvel at their sanity and the casual way that they throw it into the conversation.  My sinful heart relishes my success in this area and I then convince myself that they just didn't try hard enough.  I'm brought back to reality, usually abruptly, when I see Connor's shyness ruling when we're in public and other kids having no difficulty joining in or answering those silly questions adults ask the children of their friends (like 'how old are you?' and 'what's your name?')  I know that God has made my little man a little more cautious than some others--and I need to give those other moms a break . . .not their fault their kids don't sleep as well as mine does.  Although, just let me say, we have been around some folks who I'm convinced make it nearly impossible for their kids to thrive--amazing how some people with kids are so hung up on their lives not changing at all that they go about their daily lives as if the children are just along for the ride--sometimes they eat breakfast...sometimes they don't....sometimes they go to bed at 7:30...sometimes 11pm...--we've been around families like this and are so baffled.  What are their parents thinking?  Are they thinking?  That type always makes my parenting style seem especially anal. 
.....but, I digress...

Bottom line:  Connor loves his sleep...and, even when he doesn't love it, he's gotta have it or we all suffer.  Know what I mean?  Without it, his whine and complain and short-fuse buttons are all turned on HIGH and constant. 

Now, naptime usually consists of us visiting the potty and then Connor climbing into bed.  Then, in an attempt to stall, he'll make a few requests that I can usually fend off if I can anticipate them.  He'll usually stay down after I threaten that he'll be too tired to play later if he doesn't take a good long nap. 
Naps these days usually last around 1 1/2 hours -2 1/2 hours.  (I know, WOW, right?)

Bedtime has the potential to be a little dicier.  Bath with a lot of silliness, then brushing teeth and struggling to put on 'jammies', and then we climb into bed.  I say prayers with him--usually he interupts a bunch...sometimes wanting to add something he's thankful for and sometimes to ask me a 'stall question'.  Then a firm demand that he stays in the bed--he has a bad habit of getting up with lots of excuses (eg. "somefin makes me scared" or "I wanted to give you a kiss" or "I want to take my monkey to bed").  Lately, this reminder to not get up works. 

We'll see what next week brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment